This Spanish chickpea stir fry is healthy, delicious, and satisfying without any added oils or artery-clogging meats. A quick and easy savory meal with ingredients from your pantry that can be ready in less than 15 minutes.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from a Cuban dish of Spanish origin. It is known as garbanzos fritos or fried chickpeas and is typically made by frying the chickpeas with the addition of ham, bacon, and/or sausage.
Like any other traditional dish, there are many variations and ways to prepare. Although the original name translates into fried chickpeas, I wanted to create a version that was healthy and without oils or processed meat substitutes. So, this won’t be like the crispy, drier versions out there. But still incredibly tasty and savory.
Since we aren’t using oils this recipe turns out more like the saucy versions of this Spanish dish. This is why I use tomato paste to bring out that delicious umami flavor we all love. I also combine onions, garlic, and delicious Cuban spices. Plus, the addition of smoked paprika takes this recipe to the next level, reminiscent of the typical ham or sausage used in the original recipe.
This recipe comes together in less than 15 minutes making it a quick and easy dinner for those busy weekday nights when cooking is the last thing on your mind. Seriously, it’s extremely easy and pantry friendly since most of the ingredients are shelf-stable. You’ve probably got all the ingredients in your kitchen right now! If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can substitute canned diced tomatoes.
Like any other good chickpea recipe, this is also ideal for lunches and meal prepping ahead of time. This will stay fresh in your refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 days and, in my opinion, tastes even better the next day.
These delectable chickpeas are so versatile you can serve them as a main dish, side dish, or even an appetizer. They go well with any side. As an appetizer, they can be served alongside some toasted bread. As a meal, serve them with white rice or vegan congri, quinoa, or even spaghetti. Don’t forget your side of veggies!
Spanish Chickpea Stir Fry - Garbanzos Fritos
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, to taste
- pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse a 15 oz can of chickpeas and set aside.
- Dice 1/2 a cup of onions and 1 cup of fresh tomato. Mince three cloves of garlic.
- In a nonstick pan, on medium heat, add diced onions and cover for about 3 minutes. The onions will release their own liquid that will start to evaporate, aiding the browning process.
- After about 3 minutes, add the tomatoes and garlic and saute. Pour in splashes of vegetable broth or water as needed to avoid sticking.
- Once you see the vegetables have cooked down a bit, add your tomato paste. Use a bit of broth to help incorporate the tomato paste.
- Next, add your adobo and smoked paprika, followed by the chickpeas. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from pan and serve with your favorite side dish.
Leave a Reply