Cuban-Style TVP Picadillo
A versatile and delicious TVP picadillo infused with Cuban flavors.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup no beef broth*
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, minced*
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup spanish olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Heat the broth until almost boiling and pour over the TVP to rehydrate. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the TVP rehydrates, prep the vegetables. I recommend using a food processor to mince the mushrooms.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add olive oil if using. Then add onions and peppers and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- When the garlic becomes fragrant, add the minced mushrooms and stir to combine well. Cover and cook the vegetables stirring occasionally.
- Once all of the water from the mushrooms has evaporated and the volume has reduced in size, it's time to add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook for about 6 or 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve your picadillo and enjoy! This TVP and mushroom picadillo recipe is quite versatile and can be used in many different ways. You can use this in any recipe you would use ground meat. Some examples are empanadas, tamales, lasagna, tacos, and much more.
- You can use whichever beefy broth you like or you can also use your favorite vegetable broth
- The dark color of baby bella mushrooms works best in this recipe but you can certainly use white button mushrooms instead.